web1_WEB0904GovtCenterFire21

Electrical short causes fire, police response to Government Center

By Matthew Strother

mstrother@civitasmedia.com

LaGrange Fire Department personnel prepare equipment after responding to a fire alarm at the Troup County Government Center, 100 Ridley Ave., on Thursday afternoon. After responding, officials determined the alarm was triggered by smoke from an electrical short, so some firefighters held back as others went inside to ensure there was no fire. After ventilating the building, no real damage was reported.
http://lagrangenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/web1_WEB0904GovtCenterFire11.jpgLaGrange Fire Department personnel prepare equipment after responding to a fire alarm at the Troup County Government Center, 100 Ridley Ave., on Thursday afternoon. After responding, officials determined the alarm was triggered by smoke from an electrical short, so some firefighters held back as others went inside to ensure there was no fire. After ventilating the building, no real damage was reported. Matthew Strother | Daily News
LaGrange Fire Department trucks pull in to the Troup County Government Center, 100 Ridley Ave., on Thursday afternoon after a fire alarm was triggered by smoke from an electrical short. Emergency personnel blocked off part of Morgan Street at the rear entrance to the building when they responded and while determining the cause of the alarm.
http://lagrangenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/web1_WEB0904GovtCenterFire21.jpgLaGrange Fire Department trucks pull in to the Troup County Government Center, 100 Ridley Ave., on Thursday afternoon after a fire alarm was triggered by smoke from an electrical short. Emergency personnel blocked off part of Morgan Street at the rear entrance to the building when they responded and while determining the cause of the alarm. Matthew Strother | Daily News

LaGRANGE — An electrical issue at the Troup County Government Center, 100 Ridley Ave., prompted fire and law enforcement response to the building shortly after 7 p.m. Thursday.

LaGrange police, Troup County sheriff’s and LaGrange Fire Department personnel arrived at the government center building with lights and sirens on Thursday afternoon, blocking off a portion of Morgan Street at the rear entrance to the center. Shortly after their arrival, officials determined that there was no apparent fire.

“A power unit in one of the electrical rooms overheated,” said LaGrange Fire Deputy Chief Willie Bradfield this morning. “There were no flames. (The power unit) shorted out and it kind of smoked the building up.”

Firefighters checked the building and when they determined there was no fire, called in maintenance personnel to take care of the electrical problem, Bradfield said. Firefighters then ventilated the building to clear the smoke.

The incident caused no real damage to the building, Bradfield said.

Matthew Strother is editor at LaGrange Daily News. He may be reached at 706-884-7311, ext. 2153.