web1_Doris-Jefferson-Awardee-Kate-Stringham-LCS-2016

Tidy student wins memorial scholarship

Contributed report

From left, board members Mac McGowan and Kathryn Adams stand with the first Doris Jefferson Memorial Scholarship winner, Kate Stringham, a Lafayette Christian School senior, who is congratulated by Derrick Peavy, Doris Jefferson’s son.
http://lagrangenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/web1_Doris-Jefferson-Awardee-Kate-Stringham-LCS-2016.jpgFrom left, board members Mac McGowan and Kathryn Adams stand with the first Doris Jefferson Memorial Scholarship winner, Kate Stringham, a Lafayette Christian School senior, who is congratulated by Derrick Peavy, Doris Jefferson’s son. Submitted

LaGRANGE — On May 4, Keep Troup Beautiful presented the first Doris Jefferson Memorial Scholarship of $500 to Kate Stringham, a senior at the Lafayette Christian School.

The scholarship is open to all Troup County and private school senior students who plan to go on to post-secondary education.

This scholarship was created in honor of Doris Jefferson, who served as executive director of Keep Troup Beautiful for many years. Jefferson passed away in 2014 and a gift from her estate to Keep Troup Beautiful enabled the creation of the award with the purpose of encouraging and assisting senior students who have demonstrated good stewardship of the environment, and who have excelled in scholastic and other school endeavors.

The award was presented by Derrick Peavy, son of the late Jefferson, who praised Stringham for her achievements and encouraged her to keep up the good work. He particularly complimented her on her work at Camp Viola, a camp for underprivileged children, where she said she has shown children how littering is bad for the environment.

“I have been able to teach them that it is always best to dispose of trash they see in a safe manner,” Stringham said.

Keep Troup Beautiful officials congratulated Stringham and wished her luck as she attends Truitt-McConnell College in Cleveland, Georgia.

Keep Troup Beautiful is a Keep America Beautiful affiliate. Keep Troup Beautiful encourages behavioral changes and individual responsibility through educational activities which result in a cleaner Troup County.

It was organized in the early 1990s by a group of LaGrange and Troup County residents interested in recycling and beautification. In 1992 the organization was recognized as a Keep America Beautiful affiliate.

Keep Troup Beautiful is funded by governmental grants and private contributions. About 65 percent of the organization’s budget is funded by the cities of LaGrange, West Point and Hogansville, and Troup County. Donations from individuals and corporations support the remaining 35 percent of the budget.

From a press release submitted by Keep Troup Beautiful. Submit your organization’s press release to editor Matthew Strother at mstrother@civitasmedia.com.