January 8, 2014
LaGrange police arrested a man for allegedly possessing a firearm as a convicted felon as well as driving with a suspended license and altering the ID number of a weapon Wednesday morning.
According to a police report, at around 12:14 a.m., an officer initiated a traffic stop in the 500 block of South Greenwood Street for no tag light. Upon making contact with the driver, later identified as Christopher Milton, 23, of LaGrange,the officer detected a strong odor of marijuana lingering inside the vehicle.
The report said that Milton claimed that he and the passenger had smoked four to five hours prior. When the officer asked if there was anything illegal in the vehicle, Milton said that the vehicle belonged to his mother and that she kept a Kel-Tec .9 MM handgun under the passenger seat.
According the report, the officer found the handgun with the serial number filed off under the passenger seat. No traces of marijuana were found.
A further investigation showed that Milton was a convicted felon for identity fraud, as well as that he had a suspended license for child support obligation.
Milton was handcuffed booked into the Troup County Jail. He was given a written warning for no tag light, cited for driving on a suspended license and charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and altering the ID number of a weapon.
• A man reported that an unknown person stole a 2012 four door Mazda 3 from Hertz rental car in the 200 block of South Davis Road.
• A man reported that an unknown person stole a 1998 Ford Crown Victoria from Sunridge Apartments in the 1200 block of Hogansville Road.
• A man reported that an unknown person entered his 1995 Chevrolet Silverado and stole a modular valued at $500 in the 100 block of Hood Street.
• A man reported that an unknown person entered a work truck at the Marathon service station in the 1700 block of Lafayette Parkway and stole a Steele saw valued at $700, two Husqvarna saws valued at $1,400, two sets of climbing gear valued at $300, two sets of climbing rope valued at $300, two pull lines valued at $300, one bull rope valued at $150 and a Garmin GPS valued at $75.
• A man reported that an unknown person broke into his residence in the 200 block of Bailey’s Way by kicking in the front door and stole a 37 inch LG Flatscreen LCD HD TV valued at $900 dollars and a 32 inch Magnavox flat screen LCD TV valued at $400.
• Joshua Craig Carothers has been charged with armed robbery, reckless driving, eluding and aggravated assault.