Last updated: September 02. 2014 11:59AM - 2136 Views
By - aashley@civitasmedia.com



The LaGrange Fire Department spent Saturday investigating a fire that occurred at the LaGrange Veterinary Hospital shortly after 8a.m. that morning.
The LaGrange Fire Department spent Saturday investigating a fire that occurred at the LaGrange Veterinary Hospital shortly after 8a.m. that morning.
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Fire investigators say a Saturday morning fire at the LaGrange Veterinary Hospital was caused by an electrical problem in the building’s lobby.


According to Lt. Chris Taylor of the LaGrange Fire Department, the fire was reported shortly after 8 a.m., where 26 firefighters responded to the scene.


Seventy five animals, four of the clinic’s staff and one client all evacuated the building unharmed prior to the arrival of fire personnel.


The fire crew arrived at the Lafayette Pkwy. building and found moderate to heavy smoke conditions coming from the attic of the building, but no flames were visible upon arrival. Flames were located inside the attic of the building.


The fire was under control at 1:33 p.m.


The building has an extensive amount of water damage, especially to the front side of the building, though most of the fire damage was in the attic, Taylor said. The damage to the building-including property and contents- was estimated at $200,000.


Animals were transported to local veterinary facilities in LaGrange and all owners were contacted, according to Taylor.


Dr. Darrell Durham of the LaGrange Veterinary Clinic, said some of the animals that have not been picked up by owners are still at local veterinary facilities today.


The building is still functional, though the waiting room will have to be rerouted and parts of the building are still without power, Durham said.


Durham said he is thankful for all that played a part in Saturday’s transition.


“The fire department was here immediately. They did a wonderful job and saved a lot of stuff,” said Durham. “Everyone stepped up to the plate- the shelters, vets, the staff, the whole community.”

Comments
comments powered by Disqus


Featured Businesses


Poll



Info Minute