Cavaliers fight hard in semifinal loss

By Kevin Eckleberry Sports Editor

7 months 7 days ago |1280 Views | | | Email | Print

BUFORD - The Callaway Cavaliers did something no other team has done this season, and that’s take a halftime lead against the Buford Wolves.

The Cavaliers, showing no fear over playing a team that has been beating teams by an average of 43 points this season, took it to the Wolves in the first half to take a 14-7 lead.

Buford rallied in the second half, though, to claim a 24-14 victory and advance to next week’s Class AAA state-championship game against Washington County.

The Cavaliers moved the ball well in the first half, and Tez Parks and Eddie Culpepper each had touchdown runs.

Callaway’s defense, meanwhile, was also up to the challenge against a powerful Buford offense.

The Cavaliers led by seven at the half, and the Wolves found themselves in a competitive game for the first time this season.

The second half belonged to the Wolves, though.

In the third quarter, Buford scored each time it had the ball to put 17 unanswered points on the board.

Callaway’s offense, meanwhile, was unable to get anything going in the second half against a Buford defense that allows just six points per game.

When a Callaway fourth-down conversion attempt failed late in the game, Buford was able to run out the clock to preserve the victory.

Callaway struck first in the game.

After a Buford missed field goal, Callaway drove 80 yards for the touchdown.

Devon Rosser had a long catch on a screen pass from Parks, and Parks capped the drive with a 29-yard touchdown run.

Chase Freeman made the extra point, and Callaway led 7-0.

After Buford answered with the tying touchdown late in the first quarter, Callaway responded in the second quarter.

Terry Godwin made a leaping 45-yard catch on a pass from Parks to put the ball on the 5-yard line.

Then on fourth down, Culpepper scored on a 1-yard run, and Callaway led 14-7.

A Buford fourth-down play failed late in the half, and Callaway maintained the lead.

Buford took over in the third quarter, scoring touchdowns on its first two possessions, once after a Callaway punt, and once after an interception.

Buford added a field goal later in the quarter to take a 24-14 lead.

Buford’s defense did the rest, keeping Callaway from getting back into the game.

OF NOTE: For more on Friday’s game, including photos, game details and the thoughts of head coach Pete Wiggins, see Monday’s print edition and check


comments powered by Disqus


Sponsored By:

Local Gas Prices

Lowest Gas Prices in LaGrange
LaGrange Gas Prices provided by

Featured Business