Last updated: January 11. 2014 4:05AM - 594 Views
By Kevin Eckleberry Sports Editor

Troup's Jamal Wilkerson looks over the Carrollton defense during Friday's game.Kevin Eckleberry | Daily News
Troup's Jamal Wilkerson looks over the Carrollton defense during Friday's game.Kevin Eckleberry | Daily News
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

After fighting back from a double-digit deficit in the fourth quarter to take the lead late in Friday’s home game against the Carrollton Trojans, the Troup Tigers ended up dropping a 58-53 heart-breaker in overtime.

Trailing by 12 points early in the fourth period, the Tigers rallied to take a three-point lead with 16 seconds remaining.

With just two seconds left to play, though, Carrollton’s Montae Glenn scored and was fouled to make it a one-point game.

Hill then converted the free throw to deadlock the game at 50-50, and after a desperation shot by Troup didn’t fall, it was on to overtime.

In the four-minute extra period, the Tigers were unable to find any offensive rhythm.

The Tigers misfired on their first eight shot attempts in overtime before Quaydo Florence made a 3-pointer with eight seconds left.

By that point, though, the Trojans already had the game in hand, and they ended up winning by five.

The Tigers (4-5 overall) fell to 0-2 in Region 5-AAAA heading into today’s home game against Columbus.

Jarrius Farrow had a big game for Troup with 19 points, and Jamal Wilkerson added 16 points, with Daryl Dunlap chipping in with 12 points.

Glenn paced the Trojans with 30 points, and he scored 13 of his team’s 14 points in the fourth quarter.

The Trojans came out strong, and they were up 14-8 after the first quarter, and they expanded that lead to 30-15 by the half.

The Tigers began to chip away at the Trojans’ lead in the third period, and by the time the fourth period began it was a 36-27 game.

After falling behind 39-27 early in the fourth quarter, the Tigers went to work.

With 1:35 left in the game, the Tigers found themselves leading by one on a Sammy Smith 3-pointer.

That shot gave the Tigers a 44-43 lead and capped a 17-4 run.

Glenn answered with a basket to give the Trojans the lead, but Farrow knocked down a 3-pointer with 55 seconds left to give the Tigers a 47-45 lead.

Farrow scored again with 30 seconds left, and Troup was on top 49-45.

After Glenn added another basket to get the Trojans within two, Wilkerson made one free throw with 16 seconds remaining to push the lead to three.

After Carrollton missed a 3-pointer, Glenn came down with the rebound, and he scored and was fouled, and his free throw tied it.

Glenn scored the first basket of overtime with 3:50 remaining, and the Trojans didn’t trail again.

comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Mortgage Minute