An unattended pot on the stove led to fire, which destroyed an apartment Thursday, according to LaGrange fire officials.
At 11:30 a.m., a fire was reported at the Hillside Apartments located in the 400 block of Jackson Street. Upon arrival, officials said the fire in apartment 15 was fully involved and its tenant was forced to jump out of the front window of the apartment to avoid being burned.
“Apparently the apartment’s occupant was cooking and fell asleep and that’s how the fire started,” LaGrange Fire Lt. Ken Edgemon said.
Three engines and a tower truck responded to the blaze as well as a fire training crew, Edgemon said. The fire was quickly extinguished and most of the damage was contained to the ground-floor apartment. Edgemon said the neighboring apartments most likely sustained some smoke damage. The tenant was treated for a minor cuts.
Edgemon said the fire remains under investigation.