A man was arrested after sheriff’s deputies found five pounds of alleged marijuana in his car.
According to a Dec. 18 sheriff’s report, sheriff’s Sgt. Nathan Taylor stopped a 2013 Honda Accord on Interstate 85 for an obstructed tag and said the vehicle following another too closely. After stopping the Accord, Taylor said the driver, Derrick James, 23, of LaGrange, became extremely nervous. Taylor requested consent to search the vehicle, but James denied consent.
Taylor had a K-9 do a “free air sniff” of the vehicle, and the dog alerted that there was a presence of a narcotic in the vehicle, according to a report. Taylor recovered about five pounds of suspected marijuana packaged in five individual bags concealed inside clothing in the trunk, the report said.
James received a warning for the traffic offenses and driving without a license; he was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and transported to the Troup County Jail.
• A woman in the 1300 block of Juniper Street said that someone broke into her house and stole an Xbox 360 valued at $300 and an Xbox 360 controller valued at $80.
• A man in the 100 block of Meadowland Trail said that someone stole $400 from his residence.
• A White Oak Lane resident said that someone stole a Marlin 30-30 rifle valued at $500 from his residence.
• A LaGrange woman said someone took $2,910.86 from her account for fraudulent purchases.
• A man said that someone damaged the door and broke five windows at a property in the 100 block of Wright Street, causing about $1,400 in damage.