TCSS to host special meeting to discuss COVID-19
Published 5:11 pm Thursday, March 12, 2020
The Troup County School Board announced it will host a special meeting Friday at noon to discuss potential school closure due to COVID-19 at the administrative Services Center, located at 100 N. Davis Rad in LaGrange.
Earlier in the day, the school system announced it will be suspending multiple events until April 20 as part of its prevention of spreading COVID-19.
According to the announcement from TCSS, there are no known cases of COVID-19 in Troup County or TCSS. Below are the changes announced:
- Suspension of all international field trips and work-related travel for both our students and staff until April 12.
- Suspension of all non-essential large group assemblies and meetings until April 12.
- Currently approved travel for out-of-state field trips will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- TCSS is suspending approval of any future out-of-state field trips and work-related travel with the following exceptions:
- Athletic competitions in close proximity (e.g., Auburn, Opelika, East Alabama)
- School-related activities in close proximity (e.g., Auburn, Opelika, East Alabama)
- Small group conferences in close proximity.
According to TCSS, the present situation will be re-evaluated after spring break or as necessary. The announcement said the decision to cancel field trips and work-related travel was not one made easily or hastily, but out of concern for the safety of students.
TCSS said that it is monitoring the COVID-19 situation closely, following guidance from the local health department and will continue to make decisions to protect the health of all of its students, staff and school community.
Additionally, parents were informed that their contact information was updated in Infinite Campus.
This includes all possible phone numbers for primary and emergency contacts and an updated address.
If a need for TCSS to provide urgent information arises, it will contact parents via a One Call Now phone message.