Two dogs killed in Jan. 2 Ashton St. apartment fire
Published 12:09 pm Wednesday, January 5, 2022
The LaGrange Fire Department was dispatched on Jan. 2 at 11:34 a.m. to 300B Ashton Street in response to a structure fire.
As units responded, 911 stated there was an elderly female unable to get out of the apartment next door, according to a LFD press release. On arrival, crews found heavy smoke coming from the roof line and fire from the side of the apartment. The elderly female was placed in a chair and brought out by crews and her grandson. Crews entered the apartment and quickly extinguished the fire.
Fire crews also removed two small dogs and gave them oxygen via specially designed animal oxygen masks. Unfortunately, the animals did not survive despite the efforts of LFD personnel.
The fire was extinguished at 11:54 a.m. The Red Cross was called to assist the subjects involved in this incident. The cause of the fire was deemed electrical in nature.
The pre-incident value of the residence was estimated at $35,000 with a loss of $12,000 due to the fire, according to the press release.