School board approves over half million for supplies, maintenance projects
Published 1:00 am Saturday, February 26, 2022
On Thursday, the Troup County School Board approved over $529,000 for a series of supply purchases and maintenance projects.
The maintenance projects will come from the school system’s FY22 General Budget Funds while the supply purchases will come from the system’s Elementary Curriculum Funds, as noted in the school board’s meeting documents.
- The board approved the purchase of English/Language Arts curriculum materials from Open Up Resources in the amount of $81,700. Each year consumable workbooks are needed to support Bookworms ELA curriculum for grades K-5. Workbooks are used for responses to literature vocabulary work, and story maps.
- The board approved the purchase of the main power switch gear replacement for Troup High School from J.M. Clayton Company in the amount of $247,400. Inspections reveal that the main power switch gear has reached its life expectancy and is in need of replacement. The lead time for equipment is approximately 50 weeks. The switch gear receives the main power into the building and distributes power to other panels throughout the building. Southern A&E drafted the plans and RFP for the project. The project was secured through a hard bid process.
- The board approved Phenix Paving & Maintenance LLC to complete the necessary asphalt repairs for Callaway High School in the amount of $68,686.20. Inspections of the asphalt in several areas of Callaway High School reveal that the asphalt is breaking up and causing potholes due to rainwater penetrating through the cracked asphalt.
- The board approved Tall Oaks Farm to install the new LaGrange High School Athletic Facility fencing in the amount of $40,575. The fence was recommended by the City of LaGrange to assist in providing safety for students crossing Highland Avenue at the cross walks.
- The board approved for Torrance Construction Company to provide and install a new roll-up door for the warehouse building in the amount of $49,900. The new roll-up door will allow trucks access to the existing warehouse when construction is underway for the addition to the warehouse.
- The board approved the purchase of a Ford F150 pickup truck for the maintenance department from Fayetteville Ford in the amount of $41,283.17. This purchase will replace a 2007 vehicle with 145,000 in the maintenance department fleet that has become unreliable for daily use.
In other business at the meeting:
The Troup County School Board additionally approved the renewal of the lease agreement with Hillside Montessori of LaGrange Incorporated.
Hillside Montesorri of LaGrange Incorporated has leased portions of the Unity School building since August 2014 for $2,000 per month.
Currently, the school is in the process of building its own facility, Superintendent Brian Shumate said. This renewal will be effective through Dec. 31, 2022.
Upon the lease’s termination, the school system plans to take the space back and repurpose it.
“[We want to use it] potentially for office space or for other purposes, we’re still waiting on the grant application,” Shumate said.