Family OK after waking up to smoke smell, evacuating from home fire on Chesterfield Place

Published 6:15 pm Monday, May 23, 2022

The LaGrange Fire Department was dispatched on Monday at 6:58 a.m. to 210 Chesterfield Place for the report of a structure fire.

LFD crews arrived on the scene four minutes after the call and quickly contained the fire, according to a press release from the city. According to residents on the scene, an adult female woke up, smelled smoke, notified family members and helped evacuate everyone from the home. A neighbor called 911.

The home received moderate damage. No smoke detectors were present. A faulty exhaust fan in the bathroom is listed as the cause of fire.

The LaGrange Fire Department encourages everyone to keep all interior doors closed when you are at home or away from home. Closed doors can prevent the spread of smoke, fire, and heat inside a residence. If you do not have a working smoke detector in your home, please call the LaGrange Fire Department and schedule an appointment to have one installed free of charge.