web1_web0120WestCrovatFire

House fire on West Crovat Streeet in LaGrange displaces residents

Firefighters: Grease on stove to blame

By Melanie Ruberti

mruberti@civitasmedia.com

LaGrange firefighters open an attic vent in search of a house fire Wednesday at a home in the 100 block of West Crovat Street.
http://lagrangenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/web1_web0120WestCrovatFire.jpegLaGrange firefighters open an attic vent in search of a house fire Wednesday at a home in the 100 block of West Crovat Street. Tyler Jones | Daily News

LaGRANGE — Two homeowners are still assessing the damage from a fire in their home just before 4 p.m. Wednesday in the 100 block of West Crovat Street.

LaGrange Fire Chief Deputy Willie Bradfield said grease on the stove caught fire and quickly spread throughout the kitchen.

The homeowners managed to get out and call 911 from a neighbor’s home, he stated.

Firefighters ventilated the attic area of the home because smoke was trapped in the ceiling.

Bradfield said most of the damage from the blaze was confined to the kitchen area and the house was still inhabitable.

However, as a precaution, the homeowners were going to stay somewhere else for the night, he added.

Bradfield estimated the damage at about $1,000.

No one was hurt in the fire.

Melanie Ruberti is a reporter with LaGrange Daily News. She may be reached at 706-884-7311, ext. 2156.