Fall sports registration underway for Troup County Parks and Recreation
Published 12:00 am Thursday, July 30, 2015
LaGRANGE — Troup County Parks and Recreation is holding open registration for fall sports and activities through Aug. 14.
Interested parents may sign up their children at the Mike Daniel Recreation Center, 1220 Lafayette Parkway, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. The registration fee for fall sports is $60 and may be paid in person at the recreation center using cash, check, MasterCard or Visa.
The following sports are being offered:
• Flag football for youth ages 4 through 7 by Sept. 1. Practice begins Aug. 24 and the regular season runs from Sept. 26 through Oct. 31. Two leagues will divide players by ages 4 and 5, and ages 6 and 7.
• Tackle football for youth ages 8 through 12. Practice begins Aug. 25 and opening day will he held Sept. 26 at the West Point Recreation Football Fields. Three leagues will divide players by age 8, ages 9 and 10, and ages 11 and 12.
• Soccer for youths ages 4 through 15. Practice begins Aug. 29 and the opening day soccer jamboree is slated for Sept. 19. The regular season is scheduled to start Sept. 21. Five leagues will divide players by ages 4 and 5, ages 6 and 7, ages 10 and 11, and ages 12, 13 and 14. New players moving into a particular age group — for example, an 8 year old moving into the 8-and-9-year-olds league must attend evaluations held at the soccer complex on Fort Drive. The evaluations are scheduled from Aug. 17, 18 and 20 based on age and last name.
• Baseball for youth ages 9 through 11 by May 1. All games will be held at the Harris Baseball Complex and will begin with opening night scheduled for Aug. 24. The season is expected to run through approximately Sept. 24. Teams play two games per week.
• Softball for girls ages 8 through 14. Opening day is scheduled for Sept. 7 and players should be contacted by a coach by Aug. 20. Games will be held at Shuford Fields on Monday and Thursday nights. Players are divided by ages 8 through 10, and ages 11 and 12.
• Volleyball for girls ages 11 through 15 by Sept. 1. Practice begins Aug. 25 and the regular season begins Sept. 28. The season tournament is scheduled for Nov. 7.
•Cheerleading for youth ages 4 through 12 by Sept. 1. Practice begins Aug. 24 for youth ages 4 through 7 and Aug. 25 for ages 8 through 12. Not all cheerleaders will begin practice on these days. Opening day is schedule for Sept. 26.
No one will be turned away because of disability, according to Patrick Duffy, a program specialist and facilities manager with Troup County Parks and Recreation.
Additionally, adults interested in volunteering to coach recreation teams should contact the recreation department. Duffy noted there is a particular need for adults to coach flag football. Training will be provided to volunteer coaches, Duffy said.
The Mike Daniel Recreation Center is also open daily with varying hours. Information on memberships is available by contacting the recreation department or visiting the center.
For more information, call the recreation department at 706-883-1670 or visit www.trouprec.com.