School system nominates teachers of the year
LaGRANGE — This week, schools in Troup County surprised teachers with flowers and other gifts when the system announced the 2016-2017 Teacher of the Year for each school.
Twenty-five teachers will now move on to the essay portion of the nomination process.
Each year, this program recognizes teachers who display excellence and high standards for the teaching profession. Each elementary school, HOPE Academy and THINC College & Career Academy designate one teacher for the honor while all other secondary schools designate two teachers each.
All nominees complete applications describing their professional preparation and experience, as well as answer questions pertaining to their philosophy of teaching and practical applications. Roughly ten professionals from the school system, community, and Partners in Education will be tapped to participate in a blind evaluation of their written applications.
From the nominees, three system finalists will be named – one representing elementary, middle and high school levels. The top three candidates are then judged by education professionals who do not reside in Troup County. They will observe classroom instruction, conduct interviews and review the finalist’s written applications.
Finally, one of the top three finalists will be named Troup County School System Teacher of the Year in March during an afternoon reception where family, colleagues and friends can enjoy the moment with them. TCSS’ current Teacher of the Year, Michelle Ashmore from Troup High School, is currently vying for the state level honor.
The nominees from each school are:
• Berta Weathersbee Elementary School: Barbara Whitley
• Callaway Elementary School: Suzie Cook
• Ethel W. Kight Elementary School: Brittany Bonner
• Franklin Forest Elementary School: Kim Crawford
• Hillcrest Elementary School: Joanne Morrow
• Hogansville Elementary School: Pamela Pardue
• Hollis Hand Elementary School: Jill Gay
• Long Cane Elementary School: Jessica Mayfield
• Rosemont Elementary School: Stephanie Garner
• West Point Elementary School: Leigh Smith
• Whitesville Road Elementary School: Mitzi Norton
• Callaway Middle School: Sherri Johnson
• Callaway Middle School: Stephanie Winn
• Gardner Newman Middle School: Debbie Jackson
• Gardner Newman Middle School: Kevin Wallace
• Long Cane Middle School: Sara Sands
• Long Cane Middle School: Paul McClurg
• Callaway High School: Kareem Douhne
• Callaway High School: Dustin Hubbard
• LaGrange High School: Mark Murphy
• LaGrange High School: Keita Placide
• The HOPE Academy: Aidan Blackwell
• THINC College & Career Academy: Laura Lee Pike
• Troup High School: Cindy Thompson
• Troup High School: Chance Giddens