Toddler burned playing with lighter at LaGrange home

Published 12:00 am Friday, December 11, 2015

Two year old airlifted for treatment

By Melanie Ruberti

LaGRANGE — A 2 year old was severely burned after LaGrange police said he was playing with a cigarette lighter Thursday.

The toddler was inside his home in the 200 block of Borton Street just after 1 p.m. when the incident happened, according to police Capt. Mike Pheil.

The mother told officers she allowed the child to play with the lighter because she thought it was empty.

Pheil said there apparently was enough liquid inside the lighter to ignite a spark.

According to the mother, the toddler then accidentally set his clothes on fire.

The child sustained second- and possibly third-degree burns on his stomach and chest area, Pheil stated.

He was airlifted to an Atlanta area hospital for treatment, where his condition was unavailable this morning.

Detective AnDrea Scott, who was investigating the case, said no charges were currently pending in the case.

Melanie Ruberti is a reporter with LaGrange Daily News. She can be reached at 706-884-7311, ext. 2156.