3 teens arrested after LaGrange police chase

Published 12:00 am Thursday, April 7, 2016

Teens allegedly fired guns, attempted robbery

By Melanie Ruberti



LaGRANGE — Two teens are facing charges of reckless conduct and a third juvenile is in custody after allegedly leading LaGrange police on a short chase about 1 a.m. Tuesday.

The three 15 year olds are also accused of shooting guns, attempting robbery and running a police safety check point.

Police Sgt. William Nelson said the juveniles’ “crime spree” began after someone reported shots fired in the 1800 block of Murphy Avenue about 10:50 p.m. Monday.

When officers arrived, they spoke with a woman who said she heard a gunshot and then a vehicle speed away. Police said they did not find a shell casing.

Two of the teens later admitted they had discharged a firearm in the Murphy Avenue area during that time, Nelson said.

About 11:45 p.m., 911 reported an unidentified caller described a “blue car containing five black male juveniles” as a suspected vehicle in an armed robbery that just occurred in the area of Forrest Avenue and Dallis Street.

Officers canvassed the area, but a victim has still not been found, Nelson said.

Two of the teens also later admitted they were in the Forrest Avenue area at that time and attempted to rob someone at gunpoint, Nelson said.

Some time after midnight, a LaGrange police officer reported hearing gunshots around Addie and Baugh Streets, Nelson said. Nothing was found.

Then shortly before 1 a.m., a blue Oldsmobile ran a traffic check point at Union Street and Hamilton Road, Nelson said. Police pursued the car as it turned right onto Revis Street.

Officers said while they were chasing the car, two guns were allegedly thrown from the vehicle.

As the Oldsmobile approached the curve in the road where Revis Street turns into Glenn Robertson Road, the car suddenly stopped and three male juveniles and a female all jumped out and took off, Nelson said.

The female immediately surrendered to officers, and two of the male teenagers were quickly apprehended, Nelson said.

The third teen remained at large.

One of the teens allegedly took the car, which belongs to a family member, and met up with the other two juveniles.

Police were able to recover the two guns thrown from the vehicle during the pursuit.

Investigators learned the males picked up the female on Hamilton Road just before running the check point, Nelson said. Police cleared her of any charges and released her.

Two of the juveniles will be charged with reckless conduct and are in the Youth Detention Center in Columbus.

Nelson said more charges could be pending.

The third teen was taken into custody Wednesday. As of Wednesday afternoon he had not been charged, Nelson added.

Melanie Ruberti is a reporter with LaGrange Daily News. She may be reached at 706-884-7311, ext. 2156.