Twin Cedars: Help with teen’s behavior change

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Ask an expert

Twin Cedars staff

Dear expert,

Recently, my teenage son’s behavior is stressing our entire family out!!!

His grades have fallen and I am concerned about the “new friends” he has made and that he does not socialize with his “old friends.” He is verbally disrespectful, and it feels like I cannot talk to him anymore.

Would counseling help my son and family? Where in Troup County can he receive counseling services?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer,

A concerned mother.

Dear concerned mother,

First, let me be the first to congratulate you on noticing your teen’s recent behavioral changes — that is half the battle. There is a program in LaGrange, Twin Cedars Youth and Family Services Inc. Community Counseling Center, that is located at the Coleman Center, 701 Lincoln St.

Our therapists approach mental health from a wellness model rather than a medical model. This means that our therapists do not see individuals and families as being “sick,” but rather as needing support and guidance to manage their own lives.

Twin Cedars puts an emphasis on providing a nonjudgmental, compassionate, confidential and safe space for our clients and families to explore concerns. They strive to empower diverse individuals, families and groups to accomplish mental health wellness, improve relationships and provide education.

Our counselors are passionate, diverse and committed to helping children, teens and their families from all walks of life and all depths of despair not only to survive, but truly thrive in today’s world.

To make an appointment or for more information please contact Stephani Cornelison, Ph.D., LCSW, clinical director at or call 706-298-0050.

Twin Cedars Youth and Family Services may be contacted at 706-298-0050. Anyone who wants to submit a question to be answered in this column may send it to Twin Cedars, Attn: Mike Angstadt, PO Box 1526, LaGrange, GA 30241.