Vanishing Troup: Troup County Courthouse
LaGRANGE — The Troup County Courthouse and the Confederate Monument, which faced south down Main Street, used to greet visitors coming from the railroad depot.
The pictured scene is thought to be around 1900 because the square does not appear to be paved yet. Most visitors came to LaGrange via train early in the 20th century since roads connecting towns were still unpaved.
This courthouse was destroyed by fire in November of 1936. The county’s large deed books were passed hand to hand along a line of citizens to safety and were saved from destruction.
They were stored in the Cleaveland-Dodd Company until the Troup County commissioners could make other arrangements.