Governor lifts fireworks ban
LaGRANGE – The boom is back on.
Fireworks are officially allowed in Georgia again thanks to recent rainfall.
Gov. Nathan Deal signed an executive order on Tuesday stating that because the Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner had determined the risk of fires to be significantly lower thanks to increased precipitation, fireworks could once again be allowed within the state.
Deal declared most of Georgia to be in a state of drought back in November due to months with minimal rainfall, but since the declaration, West Point has received approximately 6.52 inches of rain according to the National Weather Service. That rainfall relieves the state of some of the fire dangers associated with the drought.
“We’ve had enough rain in November and December that the fields are probably wet enough (for fireworks),” said Forecaster Dan Darbe, from the National Weather Service in Peachtree City.
The Troup County Fire Department also feels better about fireworks usage at this point, though they do encourage people to be safe when they use fireworks.
“Conditions have improved greatly, so I’m not as concerned about it as I had been,” said Troup County Fire Chief Dennis Knight.
Residents are reminded to read firework labels before ignition, to always have adult supervision for all firework activities, never give fireworks to children, always have a water bucket or hose nearby when using fireworks and only use fireworks in the outdoors. For more fireworks safety tips go to www.fireworkssafety.org.
Reach Alicia B. Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 706-884-7311, Ext. 2154.