Special night for Callaway

Published 2:48 pm Sunday, March 19, 2017

By Kevin Eckleberry


HOGANSVILLE – Pink was the color of the night.

As part of cancer-awareness night, Callaway High’s boys’ and girls’ soccer teams were each wearing pink jerseys for Friday’s games against Griffin.

Each of the players had a name on the back of their jersey of someone close to them who was impacted by cancer.

On the field, the night belonged to Callaway.

In the girls’ game, Callaway overcame an early deficit to win 4-1, and the boys’ team dominated Griffin on the way to a 5-1 victory.

The Callaway girls’ team was facing a 1-0 deficit after giving up an early goal, but it answered a few minutes later with a goal from Breanna Vaught.

Callaway was in control the rest of the way, and Kelly Carlisle scored the final three goals for the hat trick.

In the boys’ game, Callaway was never threatened.

In the 10th minute, Wes Brooks scored a goal on a throw-in from Jonathan Castillo, and the Cavaliers had a lead they wouldn’t relinquish.

In the 20th minute, Ian Bryan gathered up a free kick from goal keeper Hugo Lopez, and he beat Griffin’s defense for the goal, and it was a 2-0 game, which was the score at the half.

“We’ve been in that spot before,” Callaway coach Mike Petite said of having the halftime lead. “We’ve been up 2-0, we’ve been up 3-1. I said, what’s it going to be? I’ve seen us lose this lead, I’ve seen us hold on for dear life. What I haven’t seen us do is finish a team off. We’ve got to learn how to do that.”

The players listened to their coach.

Less than 20 seconds into the second half, Grayson Lambert scored to put Callaway up 3-0.

Later, Ian Bryan scored on a corner kick, and Callaway led 4-0.

“We’ve been working on that,” Petite said. “In the past four games, that’s probably our 30th corner. I told them these are free kicks. You’ve got to convert, so we finally got one.”

Freshman Joe Neese scored a goal on an assist from Lambert to cap the scoring, and Griffin scored late to avoid the shutout.