Beasley sentenced to 25 years

Published 6:41 pm Sunday, June 4, 2017

Frederick Evan Beasley, 37, will spend the next 25 years locked up in a state prison.

The man was sentenced in late May for his role in a shooting that was also an alleged gang “hit.”

Through a negotiated plea deal with the Troup County District Attorney’s Office, Beasley was supposed to serve less time behind bars – 30 years to serve 10 years as a recidivist. That sentence was conditional on his testimony during Roger Lee Ransom II”s trial.

But the 37-year-old man did not uphold his end of the bargain. Beasley changed his story the night before he was set to testify against co-defendant Ransom II, 35.

Beasley, Ransom and Darkeveon Tucker, 19, were accused of planning and / or shooting a man in the 900 block of Georgia Avenue on Jan. 4, 2016.

In April, Beasley pleaded guilty to aggravated assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and two counts of violating the street gang and terrorism act.

In accordance with the plea deal, Beasley admitted in open court he is a member of the Gangster Disciples and was the gunman in the Georgia Avenue shooting.

The crime was part of a “hit” by members of the Gangster Disciples street gang.

While Beasley admitted to pulling the trigger, he testified it was Ransom’s idea to shoot the victim.

The 37-year-old man told the court Ransom was having “difficulties” with the victim.

“He (Ransom) wanted to take me and show me something … he wanted to take me to (the victim’s) house,” Beasley testified in April.

“He wanted me to kill him (victim), but instead I shot him in the arm.”

During that same hearing, Beasley told the court Ransom was a “high ranking” member of the Gangster Disciples.

The 37-year-old man was set to testify to that same information two days later in the state’s case against Ransom.

But Beasley recanted his guilty confession to prosecutors the night before he was scheduled to take the stand.

As a result, the district attorney’s office dropped the most serious charges against Ransom: one count of aggravated assault and two counts of violating the street gang terrorism and prevention act.

Ransom pleaded guilty to the remaining charge possession of firearm by a convicted felon and was sentenced with time served.

Ransom walked out of the Troup County Jail later that day as a free man.

Beasley remained behind bars while the district attorney’s office re-evaluated and discussed how to proceed forward with Beasley’s case.

Before Ransom’s trial, Troup County Assistant District Attorney Jack Winne asked presiding Superior Court Judge Travis Sakrison to withhold Beasley’s sentencing.

During the second hearing at the end of May, the state told Sakrison the man breached the original plea deal.

The D.A.’s office also reconfirmed Beasley is a four-time convicted felon. He was found guilty of aggravated assault in 1997 and pleaded guilty three times to violating the state’s substance control act.

Judge Sakrison sentenced Beasley accordingly — 25 years to serve behind bars without the chance of parole. Beasley would be 62 years old if he serves all 25 years.