Fire Dept: Unattended cooking cause of fire on Alford Street

Published 5:34 pm Wednesday, September 6, 2017

The LaGrange Fire Department has determined that unattended cooking caused a house fire on Alford Street Tuesday night.

The fire department dispatched to a house 300 block of Alford Street at 11:57 p.m. for a reported structure fire, according to Lt. Chris Taylor. Four adults were able to escape the fire, as well as several cats. Taylor said one cat was treated for smoke inhalation, but there no other injuries reported.

The fire is estimated to have caused $30,000 in damage, including the property and contents.

Firefighters arrived on the scene at 12:03 a.m. and found heavy smoke coming from the rear of the single-story, wood framed home. The heaviest fire conditions were coming from the home’s kitchen, Taylor said.

The city electric department was called to the scene to shut off the power and did so at 1:31 a.m. The fire caused extensive damage to the kitchen and smoke and heat damage were observed throughout the residence, Taylor said.

The American Red Cross is providing assistance to the family.