School board decides on calendar for 2019-2020 school year
The Troup County School Board officially approved the school calendar for the 2019-2020 school year on Thursday night.
Only one change was made from Tuesday night’s work session, when the calendar was first discussed. The dates for Callaway, Troup and LaGrange High School graduations were moved up a week. Outside of that, there were no additional changes.
The calendar committee, a team of 28 employees from all parts of the school system, put together the proposed calendar. A survey was also sent out through Facebook, allowing anyone to provide input on the calendar. There were a total of 1,200 responses, giving the committee a good idea of what the public wanted.
A total of 61.2 percent of voters wanted two full weeks off at Christmas, 19.3 percent wanted one full week at Thanksgiving and 14.9 percent wanted to be out of school by Memorial Day. All three of those items were included.
Here’s a look at key dates for the school system:
- School starts on Monday, August 12. That means it’ll be an 83-day break from school for students.
- Students will be off for fall break on Monday, Oct. 14 and Tuesday, Oct. 15. The second date, Oct. 15, is a teacher professional learning day, but students will be off.
- Thanksgiving break will be Monday, Nov. 25 through Friday, Nov. 29, so counting weekends students will get nine days out of school.
- Christmas break will be Dec. 23 through Jan. 3. However, Jan. 6 is also a teacher professional learning day, so students will be off. Counting weekends, students get 17 days off for Christmas.
- March 13 is an inclement weather day, if needed.
- Spring break will be April 6-10.
- The last day of school will be May 22.
- Graduations will be held the same week as the final day of school. Callaway (Thursday, May 21) and Troup (Friday, May 22) will graduate in the evening. LaGrange (Saturday, May 23) will graduate in the morning.