Dramatic win for Cavaliers

Published 11:11 pm Thursday, March 7, 2019


Daily News

A furious second-half rally lifted Callaway’s boys’ soccer team to a dramatic 4-3 win over Mount Zion on Wednesday night.

When Mount Zion scored a pair of goals early in the second half, it had an imposing 3-0 lead.

Beginning with a Tyler Lewis goal, though, the Cavaliers were off and running.

Callaway finished the game with four unanswered goals, including Michael Everett’s game-winner with two minutes left in the game.

Three of Callaway’s goals came in the game’s final 10 minutes.

“Despite dictating play tonight we did not have the emotion or passion for the game

early on, however, once we scored our first goal we had a surge of confidence that what we were trying to do offensively was working and it lead to a great comeback,” Callaway head coach Mike Petite said. “We will need to play with passion and emotion every night if we are going to continue to improve and win games.  I am happy to see the way we battled tonight and proud of these guys for fighting through adversity to get the win.”

Down 1-0 at the half, the situation grew bleak when Mount Zion scored a pair of goals in quick succession to extend its lead to three.

Needing a spark, the Cavaliers got it when Lewis scored with 29 minutes remaining off a free kick by Everett.

The Cavaliers stayed on the attack, and with10 minutes left in the game, they were awarded a penalty kick after a foul in the box. Everett made the penalty kick, and Mount Zion’s lead was down to one.

With four minutes to play, the Cavaliers notched the tying goal when freshman Jay Jordan corralled a loose ball and knocked it into the net.

Now with all the momentum, the Cavaliers took the lead two minutes later.

Elbin Jacob lofted the ball over the top of the Mount Zion defense, and the goal keeper came out to try to make the save.

Everett got to the ball first, and he found the net from 30 yards out for the go-ahead goal.

Callaway controlled the ball for the remaining two minutes to earn the victory.

In the girls’ game, there was no suspense, with Callaway rolling to a 5-0 victory.

Marisa Acevedo led Callaway with two goals, and Alyssa Niner, Tziah Settles and Kelley McGuffin had one goal apiece

McGuffin had two assists, and Acevedo and Katelynn Phillips had one assist apiece.

Callaway will host Mount Paran on Friday, with the girls’ game at 6 p.m., and the boys’ game at 8 p.m.