TCSS HB 251 school choice applications now available

Published 5:04 pm Thursday, June 27, 2019

Troup County School System parents and legal guardians of kindergarten through twelfth grade students may request a transfer to another school in the district under House Bill 251. If granted, the transfer will be in effect for the 2019-2020 school year.

All applications and supporting documentation must be received by July 15, 2019. All mailed applications and supporting documentation must be postmarked by July 15, 2019. To apply or find out more information, go to where the following is available:

• Application for transfer

• Parent information sheet

• List of schools with available classroom space

Before a transfer is granted, classroom space must be available at the requested school, and classroom space is left up to the school district to define, per the HB251 Q&A.

Also, there must be appropriate teacher allocation at the requested school, and all assigned students must be enrolled and scheduled. In addition, to be eligible for a transfer under House Bill 251 a student must have been enrolled in their assigned school for at least one full year immediately prior to the request.

Upon approval to transfer a student to another school in the district, the law requires the parent or guardian assume all costs and responsibilities related to transportation as long as the student remains at the transferred school.

Information may also be obtained by calling the Troup County School System Office of Student Assignment at (706) 812-7900.