Fire causes major damage to Pond View Point home

Published 5:38 pm Monday, January 20, 2020

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

A structure on Pond View Point sustained major damage after a fire Sunday morning, according to the city of LaGrange.

A news release said the LaGrange Fire Department was dispatched to 107 Pond View Point at 8:32 a.m. to a fully-engulfed house. Once on the scene, firefighters found visible flames from the rear of the residence and heavy smoke from the roof. According to the city, a woman was in the home when the fire started but did make it out. She did sustain injuries related to the fire and was treated at the scene by Troup County American Medical Response.

The city said firefighters surrounded the home with water lines from the front and back of the house, and the blaze was under control by 9:05 a.m. The news release said the structure was saved, but three rooms and the attic received significant fire damage, and two other rooms received minor damage. The rest of the structure received smoke damage. 

The estimated fire loss, including the structure and its contents, is about $80,000, according to the city.

The LaGrange Fire Department received aid from a Troup County Fire Department unit.

According to the city, the fire was caused by a candle left burning in a bedroom that ignited nearby materials.