LaGrange wins thriller over Columbus

Published 1:10 am Saturday, September 26, 2020

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...


Daily News

COLUMBUS – The LaGrange Grangers fought back from a 10-point deficit in the fourth quarter to beat the Columbus Blue Devils 39-32 on Friday night at Kinnett Stadium.

Columbus scored a touchdown early in the fourth quarter to take a 32-22 lead, but LaGrange (2-1) finished the game on a 17-0 run to win its second straight game and open Region 2-AAAA play in style.

Sophomore quarterback Jaylan Brown gave the Grangers the lead with a 1-yard touchdown run with 1:17 to play, and Kobe Jones came through with a game-clinching interception to end the suspense.

Micah Prophett began the comeback when he made a 36-yard field goal with 7:45 to play, cutting the Columbus lead to 32-25.

When the Grangers got the ball back, an Asa Leath run and a completion from Brown to AJ Traylor put the ball on the Blue Devils’ 20-yard line.

After a Leath 17-yard run, Brown powered his way into the end zone from three yards out, and the Prophett extra point tied it at 32-32 with 4:50 to pay.

LaGrange’s defense came through with a big stop, giving the offense a chance to drive for the go-ahead score.

Parker Shattuck and Magic Johnson both caught passes from Brown to get the ball deep into Columbus territory, and Leath had a 10-yard carry to the 1-yard line.

On the next play, Brown’s 1-yard run gave the Grangers the lead, and Prophett converted the extra point to make it a 39-32 game with 1:17 remaining.

The Blue Devils still had time to drive for a potential tying touchdown, but Jones finished things off with an interception.

The Grangers led early, with Brown tossing a 45-yard touchdown pass to Traylor, and Prophett’s extra point gave the visiting team a 7-0 lead a little more than a minute into the game.

The Blue Devils came right back with the tying touchdown, but the Grangers reclaimed the lead on a 46-yard scoring run from Kale Gibbs, and it was a 14-7 game with seven minutes left in the opening quarter.

The Blue Devils rallied to take a 17-14 lead at the half, and they scored a touchdown and converted a two-point conversion with 5:01 to play in the third quarter to go up 25-14.

Back came LaGrange, with Brown’s 14-yard touchdown pass to Johnson and the two-point conversion cutting the Columbus lead to 25-22.

Columbus kept the pressure on by scoring a touchdown early in the fourth quarter, but LaGrange rallied for the big road win.

LaGrange will return to Columbus next Friday for a region matchup with Kendrick.