Troup County CLCP Literary Bee makes stinging return
Published 1:00 am Wednesday, March 2, 2022
It was a night of brain-buzzing competition at the second annual adult-oriented Troup County Certified Literacy Community Program [CLCP] Literary Bee.
Eleven community and corporate-sponsored teams dug deep into their knowledge banks of famous and lesser-known literary works, magazine and newspaper trivia for the chance to be crowned queen bees for the night.
Diane Harrell, Troup County CLCP’s executive director, said the competition was previously held annually as a traditional spelling bee but was changed in recent years to a trivia competition.
The proceeds from the competition went toward Troup County CLCP’s operations. The organization provides for people going back to school and GED scholarships.
It also works with the school system to prevent students from dropping out, provide dictionaries for third-grade students and maintain the little free libraries in the community.
Competing teams included:
- Charter Foundation sponsored Twin Cedars’s team “Ctrl Alt Del.” The team consisted of members John Harrell, Emily O’Connor and Emily McElhaney.
- Junior Service League Sustainers sponsored JSL Actives’ team “Busy Serving Bees.” The team consisted of members Jessica O’Neal, Leah Selbie and Lindsay Trinrud.
- Matt Orr State Farm Insurance sponsored the Troup County Historical Society’s team “The Light Brigade.” The team consisted of Jessica Burke Forrest Johnson and Lewis Powell.
- Pediatric Associates of LaGrange sponsored the LaGrange Academy’s “Literary Warriors.” The team consisted of Beth Tures, April Beasley and Teresa Krizay.
- McKeen Realty sponsored West Georgia Technical College’s “Reading Writing Arithmetic.” The team consisted of Jane McClain, Calvin Wagner and Chelsey Villarreal.
- Dairy Queen sponsored Dairy Queen and Friends’ “The Perfect Swirl.” The team consisted of James VanSchoor, John Fuller and Brant Kelsey.
- Atlas Turf sponsored “Just Working for Book Money.” The team consisted of Catherine Holmes, Ashley Anderson and Kyndra McIntosh.
- Dr. Tom and Selma Gore sponsored “LaGrange Literacy Lovers.” The team consisted of Anna Maria Genova, Evan Genova and Fiona Wilson.
- JK Boatwright and Company sponsored Get Troup Reading/Success by Six and The Jungle Bus’ “Get Troup Reading Bees.” The team consisted of Nicole Kennedy, Gail Gordon and Kim Myers.
- Synovus sponsored LaGrange Colleges’ “Panthers Answers.” The team consisted of John Head, Mark Huffman and Chase Davis.
- Smith Design Group sponsored Troup High School’s “Two Teachers and The Man.” The team consisted of Paul Hammock, Chase Giddens and Jody Sloat.
Two teams were swatted out in the first round. Round two had contestants dropping like flies as eight more teams left from the competition. The third and final round consisted of a five-question lighting-style round between “Busy Serving Bees” and “The Light Brigade.”
Busy Serving Bees correctly guessed three out of the five questions, winning the competition.