Fire at Patillo Road Apartments causes $20,000 in damages

Published 10:30 pm Friday, April 1, 2022

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

The LaGrange Fire Department doused what appeared to be an electrical fire at Garden Apartments on Patillo Road Wednesday night.

LFD arrived on the scene at 7:11 p.m. and found a fire burning on the three sides of the apartment building on the second floor, according to a press release from the city of LaGrange.

Fire crews began a transitional attack on the second-floor apartments.  Fire crews performed search and rescue efforts and found all other apartments to be clear of occupants. Two aerial operations were established.  One from LaGrange Fire Department’s ladder truck and the other from Troup County’s ladder truck.  Troup County was on the scene due to an automatic aid agreement between the county and the city.

The fire was under control at 8:55 p.m. Salvage and overhaul operations were conducted to retrieve vital contents for apartment tenants. 

The damage to the structure was extensive and investigation efforts were limited.  At this time the cause of the fire is deemed to be electrical in nature but will remain open. There were no signs of this fire being intentionally set and the tenant of the apartment first involved was not home at the time of the fire. There were eight units within this section of the apartment complex. During fire operations, all apartments were searched and cleared.   

The property manager arranged motel arrangements for the tenants for the night of the fire, according to the press release.  American Red Cross was contacted to assist after the initial night of the fire.

The pre-incident value of the structure was $365,600. The estimated loss was $200,000.