Fire on Mountville Chipley Rd. causes total home loss

Published 8:00 am Saturday, September 17, 2022

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

On Tuesday, Sept. 13, around 4:52 p.m., the Troup County fire department was dispatched to a residential structure fire at 110 Mountville Chipley Rd.

According to Troup County Fire Chief Michael Strickland, the single story, approximately 1,600-square-foot home was heavily engulfed in flames and smoke by the time firefighters arrived on scene.

The occupants of the home were home at the time the fire started, but they were able to escape the home safely with their pets prior to calling 911 to report the fire.

About 50 to 60 percent of the home was on fire when the first engine arrived and firefighters were able to take advantage of a nearby fire hydrant to douse the flames.

“Unfortunately, the home is a total loss due to fire, smoke and water damage,” Strickland said.

Firefighters were able to assist the occupants in retrieving personal and sentimental items from the home.

No injuries were reported from either the occupants or firefighters as a result of the fire.

Troup County Fire Marshal Kevin Norred said the preliminary examination indicates that the fire originated in the corner of the garage behind a storage cabinet.

“There appeared to be several extension cords and a power strip in the area,” Norred said. “There is no indication of an intentionally set fire. Everything has been consistent with an accidental fire.”