TCSS schools name teachers of year
Published 9:00 am Friday, October 21, 2022
On Thursday, 26 Troup County School System (TCSS) teachers received news that they were named their school’s 2023-2024 Teacher of the Year.
“Please join all of us in congratulating these excellent TCSS teachers for receiving this prestigious recognition from their peers and school communities. Congratulations to them all!” said Brian Shumate, Superintendent.
Each year, this program recognizes teachers who display excellence and high standards for the teaching profession. Each elementary school, HOPE Academy, Troup County Career Center, and THINC College & Career Academy designate one teacher for the honor. Middle (CMS, GNMS, LCMS) and high schools (CHS, LHS, THS) select two teachers each.
TCSS said in a press release that these teachers will now move on to the next portion of the nomination process by completing essays for submission to compete for the system-level TOTY. During the application process, they will have to describe their professional preparation and experience and answer questions about their teaching philosophy and practical applications. Ten anonymous judges from the school system, community, and Partners in Education will be used to participate in a blind evaluation of their written applications.
From the nominees, three system finalists will be named — one representing elementary, middle and high school levels. The top three candidates are then judged by education professionals who do not reside in Troup County. They will observe classroom instruction, conduct interviews, and review the finalist’s written applications.
Finally, one of the three finalists will be named Troup County School System (TCSS) Teacher of the Year during an afternoon reception in March 2023. Dr. Linda Wood from Troup High School is the current TCSS Teacher of the Year. She is vying for the state-level honor, which will be announced in May.
The nominees from each school are:
- 4 Berta Weathersbee Elementary School — Dalecia Hamilton
- 4 Callaway Elementary School — Crystal Alexander
- 4 Clearview Elementary School — Jairo Gay
- 4 Ethel W. Kight Elementary School —Brittany Walker
- 4 Franklin Forest Elementary School — Kellie Hubbard 4 Hillcrest Elementary School — Julie Conner
- Hogansville Elementary School — Amanda Wilson
- Hollis Hand Elementary School — Allison Harris
- Long Cane Elementary School — Layna Kemp
- Rosemont Elementary School —Lindsey Foster
- West Point Elementary School — Sonya Finlay
- Callaway Middle School — Deitrice Koetter
- Callaway Middle School — Keren Behrmann
- Gardner Newman Middle School — Debbie Cox
- Gardner Newman Middle School — Valeetia Ogletree
- Long Cane Middle School — Kelly DeMarino
- Long Cane Middle School — Shabre Lovelace
- Callaway High School — Satomi Morgan
- Callaway High School — Lisa Hernandez
- LaGrange High School — Crystal Valencia
- LaGrange High School — Misty Joe Ward
- The HOPE Academy — Dr. Zelda Kitt
- THINC College & Career Academy — Brittany Poole
- Troup County Career Center — Laura Lee Pike
- Troup High School — Sgt. Kevin Jefferson
- Troup High School — Bridget Smith