WHAT’S IN A NAME: School names in Troup County
Published 3:30 pm Saturday, February 25, 2023
Whether they are named after former principals, affluent doctors or for the coincidence of being located near a popular road, the names behind local elementary schools make for interesting trivia.
Berta Weathersbee Elementary was named after former principal Herberta Herring ‘Berta’ Weathersbee. According to the Troup County Archives, Weathersbee was principal of Southwest LaGrange School from 1929-1970. The high school was built in 1916 by Fuller E. Callaway to serve the children of the employees of Hillside and Elm City Mills.
Southwest LaGrange School became a part of LaGrange City Schools in 1920. Following a fire in 1928, the current building was constructed behind the original facing Forrest Avenue in 1953.
In 2004, Franklin Forest Elementary was named for its proximity to New Franklin Road, according to the Archives.
Originally built in 1965, Hollis Hand Elementary was named for Dr. Benjamin Hollis Hand. The school opened in 1966, replacing Harwell Avenue School which burned down in 1964.
According to the Archives, Hand was a local surgeon who died in a plane crash on March 14, 1963, in LaGrange. He was also brother-in-law to both Cason and Fuller Callaway, Jr.