One dead, two others hurt after leading police on high-speed chase following alleged shoplifting

Published 7:16 pm Monday, December 4, 2023

One person died and two others were injured after leading Troup County Sheriff’s deputies on a high-speed pursuit that exceeded 100 MPH Monday afternoon.

The pursuit started with the West Point Police Department notifying the Troup County Sheriff’s Office that it was in pursuit of a vehicle northbound on Interstate 85 that was traveling approximately 100 miles per hour and driving extremely reckless in traffic. About five minutes later, Troup County deputies entered the pursuit just north of the I-85 and I-185 interchange.

The deceased individual was identified as James Woods, 27, of Grand Rapids, Michigan, according to the Troup County Coroner’s Office.

According to a press release from TCSO, the driver of the vehicle continued to drive in an unsafe manner and at very high speeds. In an effort to terminate the pursuit, the deputy initiated a PIT (Precision Immobilization Technique) Maneuver on the vehicle. The suspect vehicle left the roadway at about mile marker 26 and overturned multiple times. As a result, the driver an adult male was ejected from the vehicle and two female passengers exited the vehicle when it came to rest.

Deputies immediately began giving the male medical treatment and tended to the passengers until Troup County Fire Department and AMR personnel arrived and took over care. The male was transported to Well Star West Georgia Medical Center where he later died. One female was also transported to West Georgia and the second female was flown to an Atlanta area hospital for treatment. The suspects have not been identified.

While deputies were on the scene of the incident, they were notified that the three were suspects in a Felony Shoplifting that had occurred earlier in the day in Columbus. The Georgia State Patrol is investigating the crash and the pursuit will be reviewed by the TCSO’s Office of Professional Standards.