Unattended cooking causes nearly $10k in damage

Published 6:16 pm Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Firefighters put out a kitchen fire, saving a LaGrange house but not before the blaze and smoke caused significant damage to the home.

Around 5:50 p.m. Monday evening, LaGrange and Troup County Fire Departments were dispatched to a structure fire reported in the 100 block of Laurel Ridge Avenue West.

LaGrange fire units arrived on the scene to find a single-story residential structure with smoke showing from the ridge line of the roof and out of the back door and fire was seen in the kitchen through the rear door. 

LFD attacked the fire from the interior using a hand line through the front door and the fire was quickly brought under control with minimal water application.

Troup County firefighters searched the residence to ensure it was not occupied.

After smoke was then removed from the structure, the investigation revealed the fire was caused by unattended cooking. 

According to LFD the home was valued at approximately $27,000 and sustained approximately $9,000 worth of damage to the property and approximately $5,000 in content loss.

Three residents were displaced by the fire and the Red Cross was notified for assistance. 

No injuries were reported as a result of the incident. 

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental caused by unattended cooking.