Application for General Assignment Reporter
An experienced journalist is sought to join an exciting, energetic journalism staff. LaGrange Newsmedia, LLC is looking for someone who has a passion for journalism, loves chasing news stories, enjoys copy editing and has impeccable news judgment. A Boone Newspaper affiliate, LaGrange Newsmedia, LLC offers a competitive salary, benefits and excellent opportunities to advance.
Candidates must be able to generate compelling and accurate content very quickly as well as have the ability to report on a wide range of subjects covered by our community newspapers. This position requires the ability to juggle multiple deadlines for several publications, so multitasking is required. Candidates should have experience in finding and writing compelling, in-depth stories, have a work record that demonstrates the ability to meet deadlines, be able to write basic news or breaking stories quickly as well as in-depth articles on a variety of topics.
This multi-faceted opportunity offers journalists an opportunity to work in multiple areas of the industry, contributing to a daily newspaper, web and social media. With ample room for advancement, this reporter will join an extremely talented team of news reporters to produce an array of popular products.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications
- Experience in news reporting for print publications, either college or post-graduate work
- Proven reporting, writing and editing skills
- Pagination experience, or use of Adobe InDesign
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Word, Acrobat and Gmail
- Knowledge of AP style
- Ability to develop relationships with community leaders, news sources
- An understanding of the way local governments function
- Proficiency with social media applications, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Experience with content generating websites like WordPress
- Ability to contribute story ideas
- Ability to shoot quality photographs
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite products (including InDesign and PhotoShop) is a plus
Pay: $11.00 – $12.00 per hour