Three men sentenced to life in prison in 2016 murder case

Published 9:11 pm Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Lewis Antonio Shells, Gerald Jerome Florence, Jr. and Marcus Antonio Leslie were convicted under a 22-count indictment by the Troup County Superior Court for two home invasions and a murder that took place on Nov. 26, 2016. They were sentenced to life without parole for murder, life without parole consecutively for an armed robbery and 10 years consecutive for possession of a firearm during commission of a felony, according to Assistant District Attorney Jim Powers.

Jarvis Dewayne Duncan and Lee Michael Fair were also convicted for their involvement in the home invasions and the murder. Fair was given 30 years to serve 20 and Duncan received 30 to serve 15, according to Powers.

“[Fair and Duncan] pled about two months ago. Lee Michael Fair, who helped plan the incident, received 30 to serve 20. That 20 years is not parole-able, so he’ll serve 7,300 days,” Powers said. “Jarvis Dewayne Duncan, who, basically, his involvement was just went along with his roommate, Lee Michael Fair, he received 30 to serve 15, so he’ll serve all 5,475 days of that.”

The five men got together to rob a house on Saynor Circle, according to Powers.

“What the evidence at trial showed was that Marcus Leslie and Gerald Florence got together with Lee Michael Fair and Jarvis Duncan up in Marietta, Cobb County. They had a contact down in LaGrange, Lewis Shells, so he called them and they rode down with guns, masks, gloves and hats and Shells then provided them with a specific firearm, TEC-9,” Powers said. “He then pointed out to them [a residence on] Saynor Circle, and he told them that there was drugs and money in the house.”

Shells knew the homeowner as a drug dealer, according to Powers.

The men waited outside the house on Saynor Circle, and when a man and woman exited the residence, they held them at gunpoint, Powers said.

“[Fair, Duncan, Leslie and Florence] approached them, put them down on the ground at gun point, duct taped them, carried the male back into the house, and forced the female to walk into the house, where she was then duct taped. They were both then stripped naked and a lot of items were stolen out of the house,” Powers said. “The two victims, actually, were not the homeowners. They were just visiting the house with the homeowner’s permission.”

The men then took the two victim’s cars to Granger Park and met back up with Shells, Powers said. Shells pointed out to them a residence on Edgewood Avenue, he said.

Shells thought the residence on Edgewood, which was owned by the first homeowner’s mother, had drugs and money there, according to Powers.

“He thought wrong,” Powers said.

The men kicked the door in at the house on Edgewood and attempted to get into the bedroom, according to Powers.

“[Darius Tucker] was in that bedroom with another victim. They were hanging out watching television. They heard the door get kicked in, saw the guys coming in and shut their door and held it shut. The mother of the deceased victim heard the commotion and came out, and one of the males who was inside broke off and shot her in the arm and a leg,” Powers said. “And then they shot, they fired through the wall, [which shot Tucker] inside the room.”

The men then went back to Marietta, according to Powers. From the home invasions, the men took a television, shoes, a gold necklace and $125 each, he said.

LaGrange police were able to find the suspects through several security cameras. According to Powers, the homeowner on Saynor Circle has a surveillance system, which showed the vehicle. The same vehicle and the stolen vehicles were shown on the Granger Park stationary police department camera.

“They then surmised that it was the same group of individuals who committed the second incident and that was over at Edgewood Avenue,” he said. “The police department was able to find video of them entering the highway and ping the tag of the car on the highway, which led them to the address in Marietta.”

When police got to the address, multiple items from the victims of the first incident were found, along with Fair and Duncan, according to Powers.

“Jarvis Dewayne Duncan and Lee Michael Fair were confronted in an interview with the evidence that was found, which included the wallet and driver’s license of the male victim at the first Saynor Circle,” Powers said. “When confronted with that, they gave a full confession. They implicated the other three, and then they started telling exactly the path they had taken when they got to LaGrange. The police department was able to go around and literally find video corroborating every last thing that they said.”

Powers said there were no gang ties to the case, and it took the jury 58 minutes to deliberate.

“They were easily guilty and the jury saw that,” Powers said. “The district attorney’s office thanks the LaGrange Police Department for their hard work, and we were glad to get the victims some sort of justice in this case.”