Gang member sentenced

Published 1:37 pm Wednesday, December 25, 2019

A suspected local gang member pled guilty to aggravated assault and other charges last week and was sentenced to serve 15 years in prison followed by 20 years on probation. 

Tavion Deshan Harton, 19, pled guilty to two violations of the street gang terrorism and prevention act, one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, one count of criminal attempt to commit armed robbery and one count of possession of firearm during commission of a felony, according to a press release from District Attorney John Cranford. 

All of the charges were from an April 10 incident on Cox Street in LaGrange. 

According to information from the investigation, Harton is a member of the Sex-Money-Murda Bloods criminal street gang. 

Harton entered a non-negotiated plea, and Coweta Judicial Circuit Superior Court Judge N. Markette Baker sentenced him to serve 15 years in prison, followed by 20 years on probation. 

Assistant District Attorney Jack Winne prosecuted the case and Detective Ley Wynne and Investigator Jarrod Anderson of the LaGrange Police Department conducted the investigation. 

“I commend the LaGrange Police Department, which is widely recognized as a leader in our state in combatting the terror inflicted upon local communities by criminal street gangs,” Cranford said. “Gang activity, and the inherent senseless violence and reckless disregard for human life that accompanies it, is a cancer on our community. As this prosecution once again shows, removing violent gang members from our community remains a top priority of my office.”

On April 10, Harton and another unknown individual knocked on the door of the victim’s residence and asked to go inside his home. The victim, who was familiar with Harton, allowed them in.

Shortly after, Harton brandished a revolver and demanded money from the victim at gunpoint, according to the press release. 

A physical struggle ensued, during which Harton pointed the handgun at the victim and pulled the trigger twice. Both trigger pulls resulted in misfires. Harton was apprehended that night at the hospital with a wound sustained while fleeing the scene. 

At the crime scene, detectives recovered parts of the revolver and two rounds of unspent ammunition with primer strikes. 

The investigation revealed that Harton was a member of the Sex-Money-Murda Bloods criminal street gang, and that these offenses were motivated by his participation in the gang’s activities, according to the press release.